I’ve been working on this list for a couple weeks now and it’s been surprisingly tricky thinking of things. I wanted goals that are challenging but achievable, and I wanted a mixture of fun and serious things. Here’s where I’ve settled:
(in no particular order)
24 Goals for my 24th Year:
1. Run 10 miles – rollover goal from last year
2. Memorize the book of Philippians – also a rollover goal; I figured this time I’ll identify the book from the get-go and have enough discipline to actually do it.
3. Go camping
4. Cook a meal of at least 3 courses and serve it to a group/another person
5. Take the GRE
6. Do a yoga handstand
7. Run in a race – probably a 5k, 10k, or 12k
8. Go to an outdoor concert
9. Improve piano playing enough to play in public
10. Apply to grad school - contingent on how things play out, but if I don’t apply this year I at least want to have picked a program and have a timeline for application
11. Run a seven-minute mile
12. Write 2-3 songs – I took a year-long hiatus from song writing after the WR. This happened for a few reasons, but I think it’s time to get after it again.
13. Invest in a new wardrobe - In the last three years, I’ve given away a significant amount of my possessions and clothing, what with finishing school and moving out of the country. I’m ready to start rebuilding now that I’m more financially stable and have a better understanding of what I need vs. what I want.
14. Take a one-month social media break – I do use social media for work very regularly, but other than that, I’d like to be completely off the grid.
15. Pull an all-nighter; watch the sunrise
16. Establish a fully-funded Emergency Fund - three to six months of living expenses
17. Take a really stunning photo - i.e. more photography in general!
18. Frame my favorite photos – I have so many awesome pictures from my travels, and I always said I would frame my favorites when I moved into a house/apartment. I just need to do it, even if I don’t move this year.
19. Go to a Longhorn football game – never been as an alumna!
20. Make intentional phone calls to long distance friends - I have so many really, really good friends and unfortunately, a lot of them live far away. I want to make sure I keep them in my life by calling and writing regularly, so I’ll probably set aside one day a week to make sure I do this.
21. Go to the movies by myself - The last time I did this was three years ago when HP8 came out and I was working in Houston for the summer. I enjoy doing things alone, so I want to do this again.
22. Reduce soda consumption to 1-2 per week - I know I should cut soda out entirely, but this is a realistic baby step in that direction. Hopefully by 2016 I can finally stop drinking soda altogether!
23. Get rid of road rage – ya, I have road rage… I think it developed when I lived overseas (driving is so much more aggressive in many countries). I figured it would subside after I lived in the States longer, but oops… it didn’t. Time to re-learn some patience in driving.
24. Open a Roth IRA – I have several other financial goals like this, but I probably can’t realistically achieve them unless my finances change (read: unless I get a raise). But if my finances do change somehow, one of my goals is to get started on things like opening an IRA and finishing off my student loan payments.
I feel pretty good about this list and I look forward to chipping away at it this year.
Do you have any goals for your current year of life? What should I add as a bonus goal? Wanna join me in some of these?